Business Registration/Licensing

Business Registration/Licensing ( Permanent Makeup/Tattoo Artists )


The Environmental Health Division of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health provides licensing, permits and registration for a variety of industries and businesses that present public health-related problems, and for individuals wishing to work in these industries. Services include public health permits, certified food handling permits and business registration/licensing for permanent makeup/tattoo artists. There are no geographic restrictions.

Public Health permits are issued for food markets, restaurants, farmers markets, mobile food trucks, mobile food carts, swap meets, swimming pools, water systems, garment manufacturing establishments, radiation control, apartment buildings, plans for new and remodeled facilities, schools, day care centers, body art establishments, hotels, theatres, and commercial laundries. Permits are also issued for in home kitchen facilities categorized as "cottage food operations".

The public health permit is separate from a business license, which is also required to operate a business and is issued by the municipality in which the business is located.

The certified food handler permit enables an individual to work in a restaurant, mobile or stationary food preparation unit or commissary. The course to become a State certified food handler is offered at 50 community college and private vocational school locations. Additionally, certification can be obtained on-line. Training consists of an 8 hour course in food safety and protection. A TB (Tuberculosis) test is also required.

The body art practitioner registration requires practitioners to provide a copy of government-issued photo ID verifying s/he is 18 years or older; copy of Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Training, and a copy of one of the following: certificate of Hepatitis B vaccination, laboratory evidence of immunity, physician statement of contraindication for medical reasons, or a completed Hepatitis B Vaccination Declination Form. APPLICATION PROCEDURE Call or visit the agency's website for information and instructions. FEES/PAYMENT SOURCE Environmental Health has fixed fees for inspection of licensed facilities. Public Health permit fees vary according to the industry.


5050 Commerce Dr.

Baldwin Park , CA 91706 (Physical)

Get directions
Service hours
Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm.


(888) 700-9995 (Customer Call Center - All Complaints M-F, 8-5) (213) 738-3220 (Toxic Epidemiology) (626) 430-5570 (Body Art Program) (626) 430-5160 (Street Vending Complaints) (626) 430-5560 (Health Licensing Application for Mobile Food Vehicles and Carts) (626) 430-5500 (Street Vending Complaints - Spanish)

Service/Intake and Administration

(626) 430-5290 (Cross Connections Water Pollution Program)


(626) 813-3000 (EH Administration/Headquarters)

Featured Resources

Can’t find what you’re looking for?