LA County’s top priority is the safety and wellbeing of the public, and we are bringing all available resources to bear to alleviate this issue.

It’s important for you to know that your health and sense of wellbeing are very important to us. 

The County is working around the clock to alleviate the source of the smell and provide you and your neighbor’s relief from its effects.

Dial 2-1-1 for information and to file for reimbursement if you live in Carson or West Carson.

Reimbursement Program:

For residents of Carson and West Carson unincorporated area: 

If you do not have access to an air conditioner or portable indoor air filter, and the foul odors continue impacting your quality of life, the County has developed a program that offers reimbursement for the purchase of a portable HEPA filtration system or temporary relocation.


Option 1:  Go to Scroll to “Resources” and select the “Claims for Damages to Person or Property Form.”

Option 2: Please provide your email address and we will email you the Claims for Damages to Person or Property Form.

Option 3: Please provide your mailing address and we will mail you the Claims for Damages to Person or Property Form.

  • Read claim application thoroughly. 
  • Fill out claim as indicated; attach additional information if necessary. 
  • Please use one claim form for each claimant. 
  • Return this original signed claim and any attachments supporting your claim, such as receipts. 
  • This form must be signed.
  • Deliver or mail the form to: 500 West Temple Street, Room 383, Los Angeles, CA 90012  Executive Officer, Board of Supervisors, ATTENTION: CLAIMS (213) 974-1440

Claim Form

Public Health Recommendations: 

(Updated: 10/13/2021)

  1. Keep doors and windows closed to prevent outdoor odors from entering. Air out your home/business when odors are not present. 
  2. If you have an HVAC system, contact an air conditioning specialist, if needed, to determine if the system can use HEPA or MERV-rated filters with activated charcoal (carbon) to improve indoor air quality. 
  3. Use a certified portable HEPA indoor air filter with activated charcoal to improve air quality in your home. 
  4. If symptoms are persistent or worsening, consider relocating to another area until odors go away. 
  5. If symptoms feel life-threatening, seek immediate medical care.
  6. Keep pets indoors. Contact your local veterinarian if you witness difficulty breathing, vomiting, lethargy, or nausea.

If you are smelling sulfur or "rotten eggs", report it to South Coast AQMD by going to  Go to  or by calling 1-800-CUTSMOG


Can’t find what you’re looking for?